Monday, August 31, 2009

August 31



During what must have been her "ceramics phase" my grandmother made this fish, part of a set that includes another fish and four bubbles; her name and a date - 1959 - are scratched in the back of the fish.

I can remember the set hanging in the bathroom of a house we lived in until I was in the 4th grade. That winter, we moved to a new house in the nice part of town. My mother was intent on decorating in "early American" style, and the fish never made a reappearance.

Aafter my mom died, I discovered them, wrapped in newspaper, and poked into that closet in the hall that held all the random crap that never got thrown away.

Now, the two fish and four bubbles live on the wall above the aquarium in my office.

Lubbock, Texas

1 comment:

  1. I like finding random crap that never got thrown away in other people's closets. I feel like I am on a treasure hunt. Finding random crap in my own closets just annoys me. Funny how that works out.

    ReplyDelete