Tuesday, November 10, 2009

November 10



My drive to work includes ten miles on a farm-to-market road, so I get twice daily updates on the cotton harvest.

On Monday morning, I saw that my favorite cotton field had been picked (stripped, we say out here) over the weekend. Is it odd to have a "favorite" cotton field? Go back and look at the photo from October 14 - there, behind the sign that says "wells" - is my favorite field. The cotton wasn't open yet in October, but when it did open, the fields were fluffy with it. This particular field had plants that were taller than most, so it was actually pretty spectacular. And it reminded me of an old picture I have of my grandpa, standing in cotton that was up to his waist. He wasn't a tall man, but that was nevertheless some tall cotton.

But that doesn't have anything to do with this picture, which was taken about seven miles from town, just after the turn from US 385 to FM 1485 - you know the place, right?

Hockley County, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment