Wednesday, October 28, 2009

October 28



I always, always thought the metal box on the left had belonged to my grandmother. I even remembered a little piece of adhesive tape on the bottom with her name written on it. So it came as a bit of a surprise when I did some fact-checking a minute or two ago. There is a piece of adhesive tape on the bottom of the box. It's got a name, and a date, written on it. The interesting thing is that the name is Wanda Mackey and my grandmother's name was Ruth Martin.

So, if you are a descendant of Mrs. Mackey, let me know. And as soon as I find something else to use as a button box, I will let you have your metal box back.

This is what I remember about the other metal box: when I was in grade school, our neighbors across the street gave it to my sister and me at Christmas, with fudge inside. Later, after the candy was gone, we stored the Chinese checkers marbles in it. Given how far off I was on the other box, though, I have to wonder about the provenance of this box, too.

in a state of confusion...

No comments:

Post a Comment